Dr Jonny Currie
Darlithydd er Anrhydedd
- Neuadd Meirionnydd, Ystafell 6ed Llawr, Ysbyty Athrofaol Cymru, Parc y Mynydd Bychan, Caerdydd, CF14 4YS
I am an Honorary Clinical Lecturer at the Division of Population Medicine at Cardiff University School of Medicine and a GP Partner at Ringland Health Centre in Newport.
Alongside this I am also an ST4 Specialty Registrar in Public Health with Public Health Wales on a training programme to become a Consultant in Public Health and am a member of the Faculty of Public Health Primary Care/Public Health Special Interest Group. Finally I support the Steering Group of Deep End Cymru, a Welsh Government-funded, Royal College of GPs Wales-hosted network looking to tackle health inequalities through research, advocacy and improved primary care service provision.
I am interested in research, policy and teaching on health inequalities including the role of primary care & health professionals in promoting health equity and how the NHS and frontline services can work better on the prevention of illness.
I am open to working with colleagues on projects including:
- exploratory analysis research to better understand trends in population health inequalities
- research to inform policy in Wales and the UK regarding health inequalities particularly around primary care
- developing interventions to improve NHS and primary care practice to tackle health inequalities (healthcare & wider determinants of health)
Research on health inequalities:
- Measuring the contribution of health-related behaviours (including smoking, alcohol and others) to life expectancy inequalities in Wales and to lifespan inequalities
- Decomposing changes in life expectancy inequalities between 1997-2010 in England by condition- and age to understand the impact of the English Health Inequalities Strategy
Research on role of NHS and primary care in tackling health inequalities
- Developing a simple pathway to improve identification and management of alcohol misuse in primary care based on the Ottawa Model for smoking cessation in primary care
- Exploring the equity of General Medical Services allocations to primary care in Wales based on research in Scotland by Deep End GPs
My teaching roles include supervising medical student student-selected component (SSC) projects, modules on the Global Health module of the Cardiff University Masters in Public Health and epidemiology and evidence-based medicine teaching on the C21 medical programme.