Miss Nicola Turner
- Adeilad y Tŵr, Plas y Parc, Caerdydd, CF10 3AT
The rise in internet connectivity has contributed to an increase in fraudulent communications designed to persuade individuals to engage with them, such as phishing emails, fake computer updates, and pop-up messages; as well an increase in those who fall victim to such attacks. People are often seen as the greatest vulnerability to cyber-attack and there is very little research which quantitatively evaluates the complex factors that affect individual susceptibility to these types of online attack, and even less still which explores ways in which people can become a defence against them.
The first aim of my research is to experimentally test a model of individual susceptibility. Following this, my research will explore individual susceptibility to harm after a successful cyber-attack; and finally, draw upon this knowledge to develop and test methods for mitigating susceptibility to communication-based cyber-attacks.
2009-2012: BSc (Hons) Psychology (1st) – School of Psychology, Bangor University
2012-2013: MSc Work Psychology and Business (Distinction) – Aston Business School, Aston University
- 2017-: Senior Human Factors Scientist, Trimetis
- 2015-2017: HFI Discipline Lead & Engineering Knowledge Manager, BAE Systems Land (UK)
- 2015: Graduate Cyber Consultant, BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- 2014: Research Psychologist (secondment), Behavioural Sciences & Influence Team, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)
- 2013-2015: Graduate Research Scientist, Advanced Technology Centre, BAE Systems
Research Topics and Related Papers
Cyber psychology, Human Factors, influence, decision making, online communication, Defence and Security, cyber vulnerabilities, mitigation method
Part-funded by Cardiff University School of Psychology, part-funded by Trimetis
Human Factors Excellence (HuFEX) Research Group
I have supported year 2 undergraduate practical sessions and provided statistics assistance to final year undergraduates for their research projects.