Professor Paul Atkinson
Paul Atkinson is Distinguished Research Professor in Sociology. He is an Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences. He has degrees in social anthropology and opera studies. He has been at Cardiff since 1974, where he has served as Head of Department and as Pro Vice-Chancellor.
He was awarded a DscEcon (Wales) in 1997. He and Sara Delamont are the founding editors of the SAGE journal Qualitative Research. In 2013 he delivered the National Centre for Research Merthods Annual Lecture.
- The sociology of cultural production, with particular reference to opera;
- The sociology of medical knowledge, with particular emphasis on the social consequences of new genetic technologies;
- The development of qualitative research methods, including applications of information technology.
- Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences
- Co-Director ESRC Research Centre on Social and Economic Aspects of Genomics (a Lancaster - Cardiff collaboration), ESRC, £3.9 Million, 2002 -07
- Associate Director, ESRC Centre for Research on Social and Economic Aspects of Genomics (CESAGe), a Lancaster-Cardiff collaboration.
- Secretary, Heads of Sociology Council Fellow, Royal Anthropological Institute
- Member of Senate, Member of University Research Committee.