Professor Russell Davies
Honorary Distinguished Professor
- Financial Matters/Financial Plan
- Management of School
- Staff Appraisal and Development
- Strategic Plan/Annual Report
- Teaching Loads
- Chair of the School Management Committee
- Member of School Admissions Committee
- Member of School Research Committee
- Member of School Staff/Student Panel
- Member of School Teaching and Learning Committee
- Inverse problems in materials characterization.
- Numerical inversion of integral transforms.
- Mechanics of time-dependent materials.
- Mathematical problems in imaging science
- Computational partial differential equations.
External funding since 2000
- 2000-02: The computation of complex industrial EPSRC £49,800 non-Newtonian flows -JREI
- 2000-4: Mathematical and Numerical Modelling of Leaf(UK) Confectionery Manufacture -EPSRC £38,500
- 2000-3: Complex fluids and complex flows. EPSRC £583,000 UWS/UWA Platform Grant
- 2001: Resource capital for complex fluids research HEFCW £100,000
- 2002-7: Unilever Research Consultancy Unilever £70,000
- 2004-6: SRIF2 Resource for Computational Fluid Dynamics HEFCW £650,000
Major conference talks since 2004
- Aug 2004. Relating the Relaxation Spectrum to Wave Dispersion Data. VIIIth International Workshop on Time Dependent Materials, Bled.
- Jan 2005. Wobble, Creep and Relaxation: Modelling Materials with Memory. SIAM UK-IE Meeting, Cork.
- April 2005. Determining Creep and Relaxation Functions from a Single Experiment. AERC 2005, Grenoble.
- October 2005. On Creep and Relaxation. Vth International Conference on Mechanics of Time Dependent Materials. Nagano, Japan.
- August 2006. Recent advances in Linear Viscoelasticity. IXth International Workshop on Time Dependent Materials. Portoroz.
- MA0122 Algebra I
- 1969 - BSc Hons Mathematics and Physics, King's College, London
- 1971 - MSc (Mathematics), Oxford University, Balliol College
- 1974 - D Phil (Mathematics), Oxford University, Balliol College
- Scholarships - Thomas and Elizabeth Williams Scholar, 1970-73; Balliol College Graduate Award, 1971-1973
- 1973-75: Atlas Research Fellow in Mathematics, Pembroke College Oxford and SERC Rutherford-Appleton Laboratory
- 1976-85: Lecturer in Applied Mathematics, The University College of Wales, Aberystwyth
- 1984: Visiting Fellow, Centre for Mathematical Analysis, Australian National University
- 1984: Visiting Scientist, Division of Mathematics and Statistics, CSIRO, Canberra
- 1984-86: Senior Lecturer in Applied Mathematics, UCW, Aberystwyth
- 1986: Visiting Fellow, Centre for Mathematical Analysis, Australian National University
- 1986-90: Reader in Mathematics, UCW, Aberystwyth
- 1990: Visiting Fellow, Centre for Mathematical Analysis, Australian National University
- 1990-to date: Professor of Mathematics, UCW, Aberystwyth (now UWA)
- 1990: Visiting Fellow, Department of Mathematics, Melbourne University
- 1998: Visiting Scientist, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences, Canberra
- 2000: Visiting Scientist, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences, Canberra
- 2000-2003: Head of Department of Mathematics, UWA
- 2006: Visiting Scientist, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences, Canberra
- 2006-to date: Head of the School of Mathematics, Cardiff University
Editorial boards and advisory committees
- Editorial Board: Inverse Problems (1988-92)
- Editorial Board: Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, 1992-
- Council: British Society of Rheology (1994 - 2000)
- Scientific Committee: Smith Institute for Industrial Mathematics and System Engineering, 2000–2006
- Scientific Committee: KTN for Industrial Mathematics 2007-
- National Physical Laboratory, Teddington
- Shell Research Limited, Thornton
- RAPRA Technology, Shawbury
- BICC Cables, Chester
- Devro-Teepak Limited, Moodiesburn
- Nestle Research Laboratory, Lausanne
- Leaf UK, Southport
- Unilever UK, Port Sunlight
Honours and awards
- Annual Award, British Society of Rheology, 2005
- President: Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, United Kingdom and Ireland, 2007-2009
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (MIMA, CMath)
- London Mathematical Society
- British Society of Rheology