BD, MA, PhD, FHEA
- Practical and public theology
- Theology and music/sound
- Interreligious dialogue and the theology of religions
- Stephen B. Roberts, 2021, ‘Listening to Lockdown: Sound Theology in a Time of Crisis’, Practical Theology, 14.1-2
- Stephen B. Roberts, 2020, ‘Keeping Contact: Traditions and Trajectories of British and Irish Practical Theology as Evidenced in the History of BIAPT’s Journal’, Practical Theology, 13.1-2, 19-31
- Stephen B. Roberts, 2017, ‘Walking with Turtles and Botanising on Asphalt: Chaplain as flâneur as Public Theologian’, Practical Theology, 10.4, 2017, 351-366
- Stephen B. Roberts, 2017 ‘Beyond the Classic: Lady Gaga and Theology in the Wild Public Sphere’, International Journal of Public Theology, 11.3, 163-187
- ‘Editorial – Islam in Britain: Challenge and Opportunity’, Crucible: The Christian Journal of Social Ethics, July-September 2008 (Guest editor)
- Martin Poole and Stephen B. Roberts, ‘Public Liturgical Theology through Community and Public Art’, in Sheona Beaumont and Madeleine Emerald Thiele (eds.), Transforming Christian Thought in the Visual Arts: Theology, Aesthetics, and Practice, Abingdon: Routledge, 2021 (forthcoming).
- Stephen B. Roberts, ‘John Tavener’s Musical Theology of Religions’, in June Boyce-Tillman and Anne-Marie Forbes (eds.), Heart’s Ease: Spirituality in the Music of John Tavener, Oxford: Peter Lang, 2020.
- Stephen B. Roberts, ‘Theology Down at the Crossroads: The Spirituality of the Devil’s Music’, in June Boyce-Tillman, Stephen B. Roberts and Jane Erricker (eds.), Enlivening Faith: Music, Spirituality and Christian Theology, Oxford: Peter Lang, 2019.
- Stephen B. Roberts ‘Is the Pope Catholic? A Question of Identity in Pope Francis’ Practical Theology of Inter-Religious Dialogue’, in Harold Kasimow and Alan Race (eds.), Pope Francis and Interreligious Dialogue: Religious Thinkers Engage with Recent Papal Initiatives, Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.
- ‘Time, Space and the Possibility of God’, in Tony Bayfield (ed.), Deep Calls to Deep: Transforming Conversations Between Jews and Christians, London: SCM, 2017.
- Reviews published in Theology, Crucible, Journal for the Academic Study of Religion, Interreligious Insight and Practical Theology, including:
- Review of two books and CD exploring music and practical theology, including Christopher Partridge, Mortality and Music: Popular Music and the Awareness of Death (London: Bloomsbury, 2017), in Practical Theology 12.2, 2019
- Review of four books on interfaith relations, including Ray Gaston Faith, Hope and Love: Interfaith Engagement as Practical Theology (SCM, 2017) in Practical Theology, 12.1, 2019.
- Stephen Pattison, Saving Face: Enfacement, Shame, Theology (Ashgate, 2013) Roundtable Review with Manon Ceridwen James, Andrew Todd, Graeme Smith and Melissa Raphael in Practical Theology, 10.3, 2017, pp.313-320
- Marianne Moyaert and Joris Geldhof (eds.), Ritual Participation and Interreligious Dialogue: Boundaries, Transgressions and Innovations (Bloomsbury, 2015) in Interreligious Insight 14.1, 2016, pp.84-85.
- William Schweiker, Theological Ethics and Global Dynamics: In the Time of Many Worlds (Blackwell, 2004) & Samuel Wells, God’s Companions: Reimagining Christian Ethics (Blackwell, 2006) in Journal for the Academic Study of Religion, 23.2, 2010, pp. 230-231
I teach mainly in the areas of Practical Theology, Christian Ethics and Christian Worship. I have particular interests in inter-religious relations and the relationship between music and theology which both feed into my teaching at various points.
- BD Theology (King’s College London, 1989)
- MA Christianity and Interreligious Dialogue (Heythrop College, University of London, 2003)
- PhD Interrerligious Dialogue and the Public Sphere (Heythrop College, University of London, 2012)
- Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy 2007