Dr Mohamed Garum
BSc, MSc, PhD
Student Services Administrator
He obtained his BSc (First Class Honours) in Petroluem Engineering at the University of Tripoli (2014, Libya), which was followed by he worked with Harouge and AKAKUS oil operations companies in the area of crude oil and estimation of reserve until 2016. In 2017, he was awarded an MSc with distinction in Information and Communication Technology Management from Cardiff Met University- Cardiff in 2017. Following this, he went on to complete his PhD in Multi-scale 2D/3D imaging for Characterization of Microstructural Properties within rocks (Digital rocks) with aiming to understand fliud flow behavoir, PSD, and pore connectivity / networks and physical and chemical properties within rock at School of Chemical and Process Engineering from the University of Leeds (2021, UK).
In recent years his research interests have focused on imaging techniques for supporting material characterisation and development research including Multi-scale 2D/3D imaging and characterization materials over different scales (sub-nano scale to cm-scale) as well as upscaling from nm-scale to mm-scale with aims to build novel and advanced 2D/3D digital approaches and correlative experiments to fully understand materials properties / behaviour , complicated pore networks and reactions of subsurface energy e.g. natural gas with rocks under subsurface conditions (e.g. temperature, pressure) cross multiple scales (nm to cm).. This will achieve the goal of enabling economic growth and environment protection via many applications of food, pharma, clean energy, subsurface energy, extraction and storage.
Dr Garum is currently a member of the SPE, EGU, EAGE and LSP.
Dr Garum's research portfolio is presently very wide, and can be summarised by the following areas:
- 2D/3D Imaging techniques with different dimension and sizes.
- Multi-scale Imaging characterisation of pores and rocks (sub-nano scale to cm-scale)
- Fluid flow in rough natural fractures and pore spaces in materials, including the transport and remediation of dissolved chemically toxic and radioactive contaminants
- Rock mechanics and the use of fracing for improving recovery from shale gas deposits.
- Integration of laboratory, borehole and field measurements for improved reservoir/crustal analysis.
- Investigation materials on applying high spatial resolution characterisation methods (µ-CT, Nano-CT, SEM& EDS , FIB-SEM, TEM, XRD , BET, TGA as well as Mercury procemtery injection (MIP),Nitrogen adsorption (N2), and strong skills in optical microscopy, and imaging technology for characterization range of materials that used in many applications with technical skills at a variety of analysis of physical and chemical properties characterisation techniques at all scales.
- Multiphase flow at the pore scale system.
- Injection fluid or mercury on the rock etc.
- Multi-scale investigation of subsurface energy storage
The applications include food, pharma, shale gas/oil, carbon storage and sequestration, geothermal and heat storage, nuclear wate disposal, Hydrogen , compressed air storage, low-carbon and renewable energy technologies etc.
Figure 1: An example of multi-scale imaging techniques of the shale rock(Garum et al., 2021)
- Garum, M., Glover, P.W.J., Lorinczi, P., Drummond-Brydson, R. and Hassanpour, A., 2020. Micro-and Nano-Scale Pore Structure in Gas Shale Using Xμ-CT and FIB-SEM Techniques. Energy & Fuels 2020, 34(10), 12340-12353 https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.0c02025
- Garum, M., Glover, P.W.J., Lorinczi, P., Scott, G. and Hassanpour, A., 2021. Ultrahigh resolution 3D imaging for quantifying the pore nanostructure of shale and predicting gas transport. Energy & Fuels 2021, 35 (1), 702-717.https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.0c03225
- Garum, M., Glover, P.W., Lorinczi, P., Micklethwaite, S. and Hassanpour, A., 2021. Integration of Multiscale Imaging of Nanoscale Pore Microstructures in Gas Shales. Energy & Fuels, 35(13), pp.10721-10732.https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.1c00554
- Nourafkan, E., Hu, Z., Garum, M., Esmaeili, H. and Wen, D., 2021. Nanomaterials for subsurface application: study of particles retention in porous media. Applied Nanoscience, 11(6), pp.1847-1856. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13204-021-01843-2
- Garum, M., Glover, P.W.J., Lorinczi, P. and Hassanpour, A., 2020, December. Investigation of Nano-Scale Structures by Using Nano-CT and FIB-SEM Approaches to Characterizing of Gas Shale. In EAGE 2020 Annual Conference & Exhibition (Vol. 2020, No. 1, pp. 1-5) https://www.earthdoc.org/content/papers/10.3997/2214-4609.202010202
- Garum, M., Glover, P.W.J., Lorinczi, P. and Hassanpour, A., 2020, December. Ultra-High Resolution 3D of Shales with Nano-CT and Its Control on Gas Transport. In EAGE 2020 Annual Conference & Exhibition(Vol. 2020, No. 1, pp. 1-5). https://www.earthdoc.org/content/papers/10.3997/2214-4609.202010049
- Garum, M., Glover, P., Lorinczi, P. and Hassanpour, A., 2020, May. Ultrahigh resolution 3D imaging and characterisation of nanoscale pore structure in shales and its control on gas transport. In EGU General Assembly Conference (p. 45).https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020EGUGA..22...45G/abstract
- Garum, M., Glover, P.P., Hassanpour, A. and Lorinczi, P.P., 2019, June. Fluid Flow and Microstructural Properties of Gas Shales. In 81st EAGE Conference and Exhibition 2019 (Vol. 2019, No. 1, pp. 1-5). https://www.earthdoc.org/content/papers/10.3997/2214-4609.201901110
- Angelidakis, V., Nadimi, S., Garum, M. and Hassanpour, A., 2022. Nano‐Scale Characterization of Particulate Iron Pyrite Morphology in Shale. Particle & Particle Systems Characterization, 39(12), p.2200120.https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/ppsc.202200120
- 2021: PhD (Chemical and Process Engineering), University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom.
- 2017: MSc (Petroluem Engineering), Cardiff Met University-Cardiff, United Kingdom.
- 2014: BSc (Petroluem Engineering), Tripoli University, Tripoli, Libya.
Garum, Mohamed Saleh B (2021) Multi-scale 3D Imaging for Characterization of Microstructural Properties of Gas Shales. PhD thesis, University of Leeds.https://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/20394/
Honours and awards
- Best Presenter Paper Award on 5th World Congress & Expo on Oil, Gas & Petroleum Engineering Conference, Italy, Milan, 28-29 March 2019.
- Henry Royce Institute for Access Equipment at (X-ray facilities at Royce@Manchester). Grant Number EP/19/0044, 2019-2020(£25,000).
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), London, UK.
- London Petrophysical Society (LSP), London, UK.
- European Association of Geoscientists & Engineering (EAGE) DB Houyen, Netherlands.
- Society of Petro physicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA), Houston, USA.
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society (AFES), Aberdeen, UK.
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), London, UK.
- European Geosciences Union (EGU), Munich, Germany.