Dr Gabriela Minden
Lecturer in English Literature
I joined Cardiff University in September 2022, after completing my DPhil in English literature at the University of Oxford. My research focuses on twentieth-century literature, drama, and performance. I am particularly interested in exploring how the period's choreographic developments catalysed the emergence of new literary and theatrical forms.
My DPhil thesis, entitled 'After the Ballets Russes: Movement and Modernism in British Theatre, 1914-1935', was awarded the 2022 Swapna Dev Memorial Book Prize, for best doctoral thesis in English literature at the University of Oxford. I am presently preparing a monograph based on this thesis for publication.
I am also currently developing a second project, which seeks to recover the contribution that dancer and theatre director Rupert Doone made to the development of modern poetic drama in early twentieth-century Britain.
In the 2023/24 academic year, I am teaching on the following modules:
- Scandal and Outrage: Controversial Literature of the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries
- Social Politics and National Style: American Fiction and Form, 1920-1940
- Star Cross'd Lovers: The Politics of Desire
- DPhil in English Literature, University of Oxford, 2021
- MSt in English Literature (1830-1914), University of Oxford, 2017
- BA in English Literature, Barnard College of Columbia University, 2015
Honours and Awards:
- Swapna Dev Memorial Book Prize (for best doctoral thesis in English literature), University of Oxford, 2022
- T. S. Eliot Annual Prize (for best seminar paper written by an early-career scholar), International T. S. Eliot Society, 2021
- Selma Jeanne Cohen Conference Presentation Award (for work with most promise in bridging scholarship in theatre and dance/movement fields), American Society for Theatre Research, 2021
- Amelia Jackson Senior Studentship (doctoral funding), Exeter College, University of Oxford, 2018-21
- ES Carrigan Prize (for postgraduate study in English literature), Barnard College of Columbia University, 2015
- Freie Universität Berlin Summer Study Grant, Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst, 2014