Mrs Rebecca Beckley
Region Co-ordinator Language Horizons Student Mentoring Project
I have been working as a Project Coordinator with MFL Mentoring for over 2 years.
MFL Mentoring mobilises mentoring methodologies to improve motivation and resilience for language learning at GCSE and beyond. Our project encourages a multilingual, global mindset that is open to all regardless of a learner's socio-economic background or proficiency in the language classroom. Our learners are encouraged to be curious and to challenge their perspectives and assumptions by exploring the world through language and culture. This project is funded by the Welsh Government and enjoys fruitful partnerships with Aberystwyth, Bangor, Swansea and UWTSD Universities.
The project trains university students to mentor learners aged 12-14 as they make their GCSE option choices. Mentoring sessions take place either in the classroom or online depending on the needs of the school. Mentors run six sessions each autumn and spring term with small groups of mentees to provide a learner-centred approach. Each session focuses on a different theme to help learners see the multidisciplinary nature of language learning. The themes explore all languages and cultures around the world rather than promoting one language in particular. This ensures that, regardless of a learner's language profile or proficiency, there is something to inspire and motivate. We have worked in over 130 of the Secondary Schools across Wales.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, I helped to create a fully digital and immersive transformation project for post-16 learners due to school closures across the UK. This part of the project was created with the aim to develop a positive experience around digital learning, as well as expand learners' knowledge about the opportunities available at university in terms of degree choices.
I am also currently producing teaching and learning resources for Year 7 learners to help teachers as they transition to the the Curriculum for Wales. Through our resources, we show that languages are everywhere and connect to all subject areas.
- Jenkins, L, Beckley, R, Kirkby, R, Owen, G. 2021. Rainbows in our Windows: Childhood in the Time of Corona, Moving Online: A post-16 languages recovery project in an era of Covid-19. English Association Issues in English. 2020(15), pp. 75-90. Not available online.
I have over 12 years' experience teaching French and Spanish at a Welsh medium secondary school.
- Teaching Spanish to students aged 11-18 years of age including both GCSE and A Level courses
- Writing and updating schemes of work in accordance with curriculum requirements
- Producing creating and engaging learning materials
- Digital Lead in the MFL Department
- Administrating examination entries
- Leading numerous extra-curricular trips abroad
- Coordinating departmental involvement in programmes such as 'Pupil Language Ambassadors' (Routes into Languages Cymru)
- Providing support and guidance as both BAC and UCAS mentor
2006 – 2007 University of Wales Institute, Cardiff - PGCE – Secondary MFL (Spanish and Italian)
2003 – 2004 University of Bath - Postgraduate Diploma in Interpreting and Translating (Spanish and Italian)
1999 – 2003 Cardiff University - BA (Hons) Spanish and Italian – 2(i)
(2020-) present: Project Coordinator, MFL Mentoring Project (Welsh Government)
(Jan 2020-April 2020): Project Coordinator , Language Horizons (Department for Education, England)
2007-2019: Teacher of Modern Foreign Languages, Ysgol Gyfun Gwynllyw
2004-2006: Export Sales Executive, Eriez Magnetics Europe Ltd