Ms Rachel Davies
MBBCh Medicine Year 5 co-ordinator
I am a highly experienced, Welsh-speaking academic administrator with nearly 20 years of employment in higher education, almost exclusively in student-facing roles.
I am currently the Year 5 Coordinator for the MBBCh undergraduate Medicine programme, where we prepare students for the transition from education to work as NHS doctors. I have previously held other roles within the undergraduate medicine Curriculum Delivery team.
I work closely and build relationships with administrative peers, academic colleagues, and clinicians from around the UK and beyond. I also provide nuanced, compassionate, proactive student support.
I have a particular passion for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion within the workplace and in education. I am a physically disabled member of staff. My areas of specific focus are race & ethnicity, gender, and disability, though I welcome open conversation on all areas of EDI. I work on EDI initiatives formally and informally across Cardiff University. It also informs my personal values away from work.
In addition to my Professional Services role within the School of Medicine, I am a distinction-graded postgraduate alumnus of the University of Hertfordshire; having studied popular culture through the lens of global film and television. My first class Masters dissertation researched grief, trauma, emotional wellbeing, and empathy derived from popular narrative television.
My interests surround psychological health, feelings of belonging, compassion and connectedness in pop culture – via media communication, psychology and emotions, and close textual analysis. I am interested in how media storytelling positively impacts upon audiences' understanding of themselves and their interactions with others.
Honours and awards
- CU Celebrating Excellence Awards in Service Delivery Category - Nominee - 2022
- CU Enricing Student Life Awards, Most Uplifting Staff Member of the Year - Nominee - 2022
- Highest Cumulative Postgraduate Programme GPA Prize, University of Hertfordshire, - Winner - 2021
- University of Hertfordshire Dean's Awards, Outstsanding PGT Achievement - Highly Commmended - 2021
- CU School of Medicine MEDIC Star Awards, Unsung Hero Award for Exceptional Student Support - Winner - 2021
- CU School of Medicine MEDIC Star Awards, Dean of Medical Education Excellence Award (Team) - Winner - 2021
- Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards, Individual recognition for exceptional student support - Winner - 2021
- Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards, Electives Team recognition for exceptional student support - Winner - 2021
- Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards, International Team recognition for exceptional student support - Winner - 2021
- CU School of Medicine MEDIC Star Awards, Team of the Year Award - Nominee - 2019
Committees and reviewing
- MA Programme Periodic Review Scrutiny Panel, University of Hertfordshire, Alumnus Representative, 2022
- CU College of Biomedical and Life Sciences Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Committee - Student Discrimination Project (Member) 2022-Present
- CU Centre for Medical Education Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Committee (Member) 2017-Present
- Medical Schools Council Electives Committee (Member) 2020-Present
- Cardiff University Race Equality Supervisory Panel (Member) 2021-Present
- Understanding People Vertical Theme Group - MBBCh Programme (Member) 2021-2022
- Student Selected Component Operations Group - MBBCh Programme (Member) 2017-Present
- Cardiff University Disability Staff Network (Member) 2019-Present
- Centre for Continuing and Professional Education, Cardiff University, Humanities Student Representative 2017-2018.