Mr Richard Earlam
My research interests lie in ballistically testing safety lenses and materials used for eye protection in industry
I have been a member of the academic staff here in Cardiff for a very long time and my main role is in teaching and administration. As a qualified optometrist and dispensing optician have an interest in both Low Vision and Dispensing. I supervise the third year Low vision Clinic providing optometric assessment and support to those who find it very difficult to carry out their normal daily tasks as a result of being unable to see clearly. I also teach dispensing to the first and second years and supervise the second year clinics.
In addition, I am the Undergraduate admissions tutor, responsible for the selection of students for our optometry course, and a senior personal tutor providing our students with pastoral care. I also support the Optometry Society whose sole mission is to ensure that all our students have fun.
My research involves ballistic testing of safety lenses and materials used for eye protection in industry.
Educational and Professional Qualifications
- Dispensing Optician
- Life Fellow of the College of Optometrists
- Senior Tutor, School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University
- Undergraduate Admissions Tutor, School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University
Honours and awards
- 2012- Life Fellowship of the College of Optometrists
- Member of the College of Optometrists
- Examiner for the Association of British Dispensing Opticians
- Examiner for the College of Optometrists
Committees and reviewing
- Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
- Member of the Undergraduate Staff/Student panel
- Member of the Board of Studies
- Member of the School Board