Mrs Lisa Newman-Davies
Lecturer in Law
I joined Cardiff Law School as a teacher in Law in October 2021 teaching undergraduate Tort and Human Rights modules.
I taught on the Legal Practice Course at the University of South Wales since September 2018 and worked as a practising solicitor with the police dealing with misconduct cases and formerly practised in Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence for several law firms.
My work involved issues surrounding Article 3, the right not to be subjected to inhuman or degrading treatment in relation to the alleged failure of police to investigate allegations of crime; Article 5, deprivation of liberty in relation to allegations of unlawful arrest and detention; Article 8, the right to respect for private and family life and Article 14 in relation to allegations of discrimination which also involved claims under the Equality Act.
My medical negligence work consisted of cases which dealt with fatalities under Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights along with tortious issues of negligence and breach of duty, causation, and the calculation of damages.
Notable cases: -
I am a qualified solicitor with specialism in Medical Law, Tort, Human Rights and Police Misconduct.
I am also a member of the Law Society of England and Wales
New and emerging technology in healthcare settings with an emphasis on the legal and ethical principles of Genetic Engineering
- Law and Technology
- Healthcare Ethics and Law
- Law and Technology
- Human Rights
Education and Qualifications
- 2008: LPC (Law), University of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK
- 2006: CPE (Law), University of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK
- 2003: FILEX. Swansea Metropolitan University, Swansea, South Wales, UK
- 1989: B.A. (Hons) Public Administration, University of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK
- 2021 - present: Lecturer in Law, University of Cardiff, South Wales, UK
- 2018 - 2021: Law Lecturer (LPC) University of South Wales, Treforest, UK
- 2018 - 2021: External Examiner for LPC (Law), University of the West of England, Bristol, UK
- 2008 - 2020: Practising Solicitor
- 2003 - 2008: FILEX
- Law Society of England and Wales
- ISSCR (| International Society for Stem Cell Research)
- APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers)
- FILEX (Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives)
- ELA (Employment Lawyers Association)